It’s friday today and I am in a mood to try something new. When it comes to cooking I am very conservative. I always have fixed dishes in mind that I make over and over again. But once in a blue moon I do give something new a try. So this friday happens to be one of those days when I just feel like making something that I have never tried before. Also one of the main reason for me to feel this particular way is that today happens to be one of my favorite festival since childhood HOLI also known as the Festival of COLORS across India. This is a hindu festival and it marks the onset of Spring. Since childhood I have always enjoyed and looked forward to celebrating this festival with family and friends by splashing colors on each other, lots of dancing at good Bollywood numbers and finally at the end of it all relishing a good feast. To celebrate this festive occasion at home I decided to try out Thandai also known as Sardai which is a cool and refreshing drink prepared with dry nuts and flavored with fragrant spices. A popular drink in India prepared on the festive occasion of Holi. Here is what you will need:
Things you need
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 2-4 tablespoons of Sugar (adjust as per your taste)
- 3/4 cup Water (adjust as per your taste)
- 1 tablespoon Cashew pieces
- 6-8 pieces Almonds
- 6-8 pieces Pistachios
- 1/2 teaspoon Saffron strands
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Poppy Seeds
1. Get all the ingredients together in the right quantity to make the spice mix for Thandai (you can adjust the spices as per your taste)
2. Add all the ingredients to a grinder
3. Grind spices to their powdered form and keep it aside
4. Boil whole milk in a pan
5. Add sugar to the boiled milk as per your taste
6. When the milk comes to a full boil mix the spices slowly so that no lumps are formed Give it a good boil with the spices mix in it
7. Allow it to sit for a while (an hour or more) so that it can soak in all the flavors. Later sieve it through a strainer, add water and refrigerate this drink for at least 3-4 hours or until chilled
8. Once it is completely chilled serve it in a glass. Garnish the top of the drink with small pieces of dryfruits like cashews, almonds and a few saffron strands. Your drink is ready.
Besides Thandai being a cool and refreshing drink it is also a good source to increase breast milk for nursing mothers as it has dry fruits like almonds, cashews which is a great source to improve breast milk production. Dry fruits are a rich source of healthy proteins and calcium which could effectively enhance the growth process of your baby.
Enjoy your cool drink!